How did I do against the assessment criteria?
Demonstration of technical and visual skills:
I worked mainly in dry media and new techiques of collage and dé-collage. I became during my project more aware of visual perception and bodily experience of drawing. Through deeper investigation of my mark making I studies various aspect of ambiguous and simplified marks. With translucent and especially use of tissue and paper I explored areas of disguised and distorted forms. My drawing followed a rather gestural approach exploring and interrogating the space of the support. I considered initially strong compositional elements as secondary, at times they even side-tracked me. During the assignment works I became more aware of this and worked with stronger visual awareness on a compositional appealing image.
Quality of outcome:
With wider contextual researches and research studies in the area of ambiguity I developed for me new drawing approaches and new visual images. Considering them as studies helped to focus on the drawing process, my interaction with surface and media, and less on thinking about a final image. At times I didn’t now where the drawing process will lead to. Through more experimental studies I discovered new visual effects that reflected quite well my sensational experience and visual perception.
I think that I followed during the project (not at the beginning though) a more coherent thinking and practice-led research path that eventually led me draw two series of work. With critical interrogation of my sketchbook studies I developed a new approach.
Demonstration of creativity:
A wide contextual research helped me to keep my thoughts and studies open for new ideas. Contextualizing aspects of my project of sensational site experience, I could not find artist that were doing the same approach. Leading towards a phenomenological approach of Deborah Harty and the intimate nature-human presence approach of Arte Povera and especially Giuseppe Penone made me create a new drawing approach. I built on my own learnings during my project studies and developed a new range of ideas and visual images. As most of the time I didn’t have a clear thought about the final outcome the process helped me to imagine and visualize my vision.
As a starting point for this project I took some time to research and reflect my own works from previous parts. It helped me to understand better my areas of improvement and especially my strong areas that I could build on. My sketchbook studies were a more interrogative process, amending quite intense the studies with new critical thoughts. Recording myself with a videocamera during some of the assignment studies helped me a lot to articulate and to reflect on my drawing process. I kept my learning log (in paper and as a blog) as a constant companion for planning my next steps.
Making visual maps helped my to stay focus, not to loose the overview, and to see and reflect clearer on my project scope:
– mind map of all my thoughts, ideas and strong and weak points from course reflection
– visual map of the first contextual research
– visual map of my project journey.